Twenty-four LGBT activists, allies, thinkers and donors came together in a Dallas, TX hotel on May 15-17, 2009, to discuss the urgent and pressing need for full equality for all lesbian, gay, bisexual transgender people in the United States.
Together they forged The Dallas Principles, an "articulate common set of goals and principles that we hope will inspire and mobilize our community, allies, and political leaders to act individually and collectively to achieve full LGBT civil rights now," says the website.
Lane Hudson, one of the twenty-four, wrote on the Huffington Post, "It's about raising the bar for all stakeholders: LGBT people, allies, organizations, politicians, the media, any anyone else with an interest."
I have signed on myself. I urge you to do the same. The LGBT population is infamous for its internal fighting, but for the first time in years, we have been working together in unison, and now we can sign on to a document that we truly believe in and stand behind, pooling our nationwide strength to win our equality.
The Dallas Principles is burning up the internet with over a thousand signing on - join the growing chorus of Americans speaking in unison, that now is the time to provide full civil rights to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender citizens, go to TheDallasPrinciples.org.
Preamble for the Dallas Principles:
The following eight guiding principles underlie our call to action.
IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE FULL CIVIL RIGHTS NOW, WE AVOW:
1. Full civil rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals must be enacted now.
Delay and excuses are no longer acceptable.
2. We will not leave any part of our community behind.
3. Separate is never equal.
4. Religious beliefs are not a basis upon which to affirm or deny CIVIL rights.
5. The establishment and guardianship of full civil rights is a Non-Partisan issue.
6. Individual involvement and grassroots Action are paramount to success and must be encouraged.
7. Success is measured by the civil rights we all ACHIEVE, not by words, access or money raised.
8. Those who seek our support, are expected to COMMIT time and effort to these principles.
Read the common Goals and Call to Action of the principles.
SIGN THE PLEDGE! Join the Facebook Group.
You can download the PDF of the principles.
This is an ongoing pledge that should be fulfilled as often as possible between May 20, 2009 and May 20, 2019.
The Washing Post wrote a piece on the Dallas Principles, "In 'Dallas Principles,' Gay Group Calls Obama to Action."