Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Belated Thanksgiving! There's Much I'm Grateful For - What About You?

Ugh. Had absolutely no internet access yesterday. Intended this to go up on time, but I guess it's never too late to say what you're grateful for!

Well, this year has been a year of mixed results when it comes to the advancement of LGBT rights, and in particular marriage equality.

Unfortunately, having the job that I do for this site, I have to report on a lot of bad news. Those who wish to deny us equality don't ever seem to let up, so we must constantly be vigilant and be equally active in protecting ourselves.

But today, I want to focus on the good things that we and our allies have accomplished in advancing our rights, as well as uplifting events that have significantly marked this year thus far for the community and for me personally.

Now I know I'm bound to forget some news and events since this site's mission focuses me on advancement in marriage and legal recognition of our relationships. So please feel free to add in the comments items I have forgotten or anything that you yourself are grateful for. It can about LGBT rights or something personal. (Mine are in no particular order - except for the first one.)
  1. I got engaged! I'm grateful for the love of my life, Loch.
  2. Referendum 71 passed, a historical moment in LGBT history. It was the first ballot initiative that voters passed affirming LGBT relationships.
  3. The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Hate Crimes Prevention Act passed.
  4. Maine passed marriage equality through its legislature (I'm focusing on the good here, not the law being overturned.)
  5. Iowa's Supreme Court ruled same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional.
  6. New Hampshire passed marriage equality through its legislature and Gov. Lynch signs it into law.
  7. The Vermont legislature overrides Gov. Jim Douglas' veto and legalizes marriage equality!
  8. Washington DC passes same-sex marriage recognition bill. (They're headed towards legalizing it within their own jurisdiction.)
  9. India, one of the most populous nations in the world, decriminalizes homosexuality.
  10. Despite differences, California's LGBT population comes together in solidarity on the Day of Decision when the state's Supreme Court decides to uphold Prop 8.
  11. I'm grateful for my readers.
  12. I'm grateful for the many friends I have made while working for equal rights.
  13. Unite the Fight was the official Meet in the Middle blog - I was blessed to be able to witness and cover such a historical moment.
  14. Though not everyone agreed on whether it should happen, the National Equality March inspired a new generation of activists.
  15. I'm grateful that my family is accepting Loch and I'm looking forward to what the future may bring.
I can go on but I think 15 is a good number. What are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment