No? Well, you're not alone.
That's because the history of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered community has been silenced, throughout the ages, by homophobia. Now with the passage of Proposition 8 and the possible failure of a court-case to repeal that measure, knowing our own history is more important than ever.
The silence ends now!
Created by the Equality Network, Teach-In for Equality will end the silence on LGBT history by educating attendees on the “Stonewall 2.0″ movement, empowering these new activists and build on their enthusiasm for change!
Many amazing speakers will appear with in-depth knowledge of all aspects of LGBT history. Break-out sessions will include: A historical overview of the LGBT movement, The Right Wing and Homophobia, The History of Direct Action, Gays and Religion, The History of Marriage Equality and Legal Rights, HIV/AIDS, The LGBT Community and the Media, and Gays in the Military.
- Cleve Jones, life-long activist
- Torie Osborn, social change organizer
- California Assemblymen John Perez
- Regent Co-Founder Paul Colichman
- Former Senator Sheila Kuehl
- Senior Lambda Legal Counsel Jenny Pizer
- Roland Palencia, Former VP of AIDS Healthcare Foundation
- Equality California Marriage Director Marc Solomon
- Human Rights Activist and Author Surina Khan
- Founding Member of Queer Nation San Francisco Waiyde Palmer
- Loma Linda University Professor of Religion Julius Nam
- Professor of Genders and Sexuality at CSULA and Author Talia Bettcher
- CSUN Professor Jake Hale.
WHERE: Plummer Park, West Hollywood, CA (Map)
Learn more at the official Teach-In for Equality website and register! But do it quick!
Join some of the most amazing influences on the modern LGBT movement for an hour of food, discussion and networking at Breakfast With History.
End the silence on LGBT history. Go to Teach-In for Equality!
Teach-In For Equality Flier