On the reservation page, the group states the event will be goal oriented, and will create task forces on the following topics:
- Ballot language: we intend to decide on a few options, and plan polling/testing of the options.
- Fundraising: we'll form a committee to begin the fundraising process, especially in the small-donor arena as we begin.
- Signature gathering logistics: we'll talk about deadlines and auditing to create a workable road map for success within the narrow window required to gather 1,000,000 names.
- Messaging: we'll brainstorm messaging for many different communities to ensure that signature gatherers are armed with appropriate responses to questions about this repeal effort.
- Technology: we'll start a wish list for what we want to see in a technology solution to help us carry-out this campaign. This list will then be the starting point for a design team.
However, Jordan Krueger of Equality Network, who is working on logistics, told Unite the Fight, "The agenda for the Next Steps Summit will be provided ahead of time, and the Summit will be planned in a way that will be open and participatory with room for debate and discussion."
This echoes the open letter to the LGBT community that the coalition issued, part of which says:
"While it’s no secret that not everyone agrees on when to proceed with a ballot initiative, everyone does agree that the work must be happening now. That work is to change hearts and minds and it must be done whether we are in a campaign for 2010 or later. Since we all share the goal of complete equality for LGBT people, there is much we can do together.Summit participants/organizers include:
"At the meeting, we will be doing in-depth planning for all aspects of what needs to occur between now and qualifying a ballot measure. Everyone dedicated to working for marriage equality is invited, particularly those who have expressed reservations about a 2010 campaign. These concerns are legitimate and important, and any planning for a future campaign must take them into account to ensure our chances of winning.
"We recognize that the last few months have at times been divisive and painful. We hope that meetings like this will begin to unite us. The purpose of this meeting is not to discuss when this issue should return to the ballot or change any one's view about that question. Rather, we invite everyone to join in the planning for what needs to be done and learn how each of us can best contribute. The decision on when to make that contribution is yours.
"It’s time to work together. Juntos podemos. Together we can."
* COURAGE CAMPAIGN
* EQUALITY ARMY
* EQUALITY NETWORK
* ERASE THE H8
* GAYS UNITED NETWORK
* INTERNATIONAL SOCIALIST ORGANIZATION
* LOVE = LOVE
* LOVE HONOR CHERISH
* MARRIAGE EQUALITY USA
* MEET IN THE MIDDLE FOR EQUALITY
* ONE STRUGGLE, ONE FIGHT
* OUTRIGHT LIBERTARIANS
* RESTORE EQUALITY NOW WEST ADAMS/L.A. SOUTH (RENWL)
* SAN DIEGO ALLIANCE FOR MARRIAGE EQUALITY (SAME)
* SOMOS FAMILIA
* STONEWALL DEMOCRATIC CLUB
* STONEWALL YOUNG DEMOCRATS
* STRAIGHT ALLY WOMEN 4 EQUALITY (AWE)
* TEAM COURAGE ORANGE COUNTY
* VIETNAMESE FOR MARRIAGE EQUALITY
* WHITE KNOT FOR EQUALITY
* YES! ON EQUALITY
Go here for more information and to reserve a place at the summit.