Friday, December 19, 2008

Should We Be Angrier at Obama or Warren?

UPDATE: Though I'm still mulling the editorial over, I want to add that Obama's pick for the benediction (not the invocation) is Rev. Joseph Lowery, co-founder, along with Martin Luther King, Jr., of the Southern Christian Leadership, and has been outspoken in his support for gay marriage. This should not be overlooked while we decide how we feel and then react about Obama and his choice over Warren. Read USA Today.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're angrier at the latter, you're not alone. Read this editorial from Time.com titled, "The Problem for Gays with Rick Warren - and Obama".

One of the more scathing quotes:

"Obama has proven himself repeatedly to be a very tolerant, very rational-sounding sort of bigot. He is far too careful and measured a man to say anything about body parts fitting together or marriage being reserved for the non-pedophilic, but all the same, he opposes equality for gay people when it comes to the basic recognition of their relationships."

I'm still mulling this over. What are your thoughts?

Also, check out the poll on Time.com's home page. It asks, "Is Rick Warren a good choice to give the invocation at Obama's inauguration?" Right now, only 51% say no.

1 comment:

  1. I came this close to withholding my vote for Obama when he announced he did not support gay marriage rights. I hated to be a one-issue voter like those Christian Fundies ... but in this year of Prop 8, that's exactly what I was.

    I knew it didn't make a difference in California anyway, Obama was a shoe-in here. In the end, to honor a friend whose volunteer passion I admired, I voted for him.

    I hope I don't come to regret it. But he's not off to a good start with me.

    ReplyDelete